top of page
Our Community

About the Parish

Rooted in faith, built by community, serving Perris.

Our Story

Parish History

The Original St. James Church

The Catholic presence in Perris dates to 1893, when a small chapel was built on Perris Boulevard, four miles north of town, to serve the residents of the Perris Indian School — the forerunner of the Riverside Sherman Institute. Rev. P.J. Stockman, pastor of St. Bernardine Church in San Bernardino, traveled to Perris to offer religious services and classes. When the school closed in 1902, the chapel closed with it. In the years that followed, Rev. P.A. Quinn of Our Lady of the Lake in Lake Elsinore reported that the growing town of Perris called for a Catholic chapel of its own.

The parish's first home was a building originally constructed in 1885 as a German Methodist Episcopal church. The first Mass was celebrated there on May 2, 1907. The building was purchased for the Catholic community through the generosity of Mr. & Mrs. James McCahill of Duluth, Minnesota, and was refurbished and dedicated as St. James the Less Church on May 10, 1910 by Bishop Thomas Conaty of the Diocese of Monterey–Los Angeles.

For three decades, St. James the Less remained a mission of St. Anthony Church in San Jacinto and Our Lady of the Lake Church in Lake Elsinore. In 1941, it was erected as a full parish and welcomed its first resident pastor, Rev. Michael Scanlon. A new church, built in 1956 during the tenure of Fr. Cornelius Waldo at a cost of $49,000 and seating 350, was dedicated on May 19, 1957 by Bishop Charles Francis Buddy, the first Bishop of San Diego — and serves the community to this day.

Image_02.jpg

The New St. James the Less Church in Dunlap St., Perris, Ca.

 

In 2017, the parish broke ground on a new church seating 1,561 at a cost of more than $6 million. It was completed and dedicated on May 25, 2019 by Bishop Gerald Barnes of San Bernardino, during the pastorship of Fr. Eliseo Napiere, MSPh. The construction debt of $1.2 million was paid off in full by July 2022 — a testament to the generosity of the parish family.

Today, St. James the Less is the seventh-oldest Catholic church in Riverside County. Seventeen resident pastors served the parish between 1941 and 2023, the longest being Fr. Cornelius Waldo, from 1952 to 1963. The parish is now one of the largest in the Diocese of San Bernardino, with over 10,000 registered families and growing.

STJ.jpg
Pastoral Leadership

Our Clergy

FrAlfie.png

Fr. Alfredo "Alfie" Africa, Jr., MSPh

Pastor
FrAlex.png

Fr. Alex Pontilla, MSPh

Parochial Vicar
Deacon_Jose.jpg

Deacon Jose Gomez

First Deacon
Deacon_Cesar.jpg

Deacon Cesar Chavez

Second Deacon
Staff Directory

Parish Office Staff

Andrea Garcia - Parish Secretary

Maria Guadalupe Donate - Parish Secretary Assistant

Sr. Madelyn Equibal - Funeral and Campagin Coordinator

Annett Mariano - Bookkeeper

Mario Valenzuela - Music and Technology Coordinator

Carmen Gonzalez - Quinceañera Coordinator

Diocese of San Bernardino

Diocesan Leadership

Bishop_Rojas.jpg

Most Rev. Alberto Rojas

Bishop of San Bernardino

Parish Life

Pastoral Commissions

Our parish commissions coordinate ministry and service across every dimension of parish life. All parishioners are welcome to participate.

Parish Pastoral Council

James Duffy - Chairman

Gregorio Cruz - Liaison Officer

Gerry Sarabia - Liaison Officer

Sergio Borja

Javier Reyna

Eva Sanchez

Alfredo Cruz - Recording Secretary

Parish Finance Council

Ken Simon - Head

Commission on Worship

Elva Cruz - Head

Commission on Evangelization

Rolando Ramos - Head

Commission on Pastoral Care

Javier Reyna - Head

Commission on Stewardship

Manuel Moreno - Head

Commission on Youth

Judith Borja - Youth Coordinator

Commission on Family Life / Vocation

Eloise Sanabria - Head

Commission on Ethnic Affairs

Teresa Reyes - Head

bottom of page