Leadership at St James the Less Catholic Church since 1941 up to the present (2022)

7B1CF3C2-0CB8-4A19-8D3D-710C47E28DF4.jpeg

FR. ELISEO NAPIERE, MSPh - 2018 - to the present

PASTOR - The Church completed and dedicated by Bishop Gerald Barnes in May 25, 2019

E94E1F20-4AA6-41D8-B3D7-110E43C12940_4_5005_c.jpeg

FR. PEDRO AMEZCUA, CORC - 2014-2018

PASTOR - The Church building project started during his tenure as Pastor of St. James in 2017

A2E82675-9765-4F73-8561-FBA1EA7CE745_4_5005_c.jpeg

FR. EDMUND GOMEZ - 2008-2014

PASTOR

5FE371B7-CA12-42ED-BB0A-0FBA92E1489F_4_5005_c.jpeg

MSGR. EDWARD NUNEZ - 2002-2008

PASTOR

EBEE5397-FAE2-48B4-A0B2-D75D27F8C0D7_1_201_a.jpeg

FR. ANTHONY FERRERO - 1999-2003

PASTOR

74B98127-BC77-4D06-B6F5-B370126BB49C_4_5005_c.jpeg

FR. WILLIAM ERSTAD - 1996-1999

PASTOR

D712D9B4-8656-4763-8B70-3163EF949937_1_201_a.jpeg

FR. THOMAS WALLACE - 1991-1996

PASTOR - He bought the 3-acre land in Dunlap for the future Church of St. James the Less and started the building fund campaign

69350502-B2A9-4E06-BB86-73A155594317_1_201_a.jpeg

FR. JESUS DOMINGUEZ - 1987-1991

PASTOR

48C16B8A-B2BF-4516-BB66-F0214677EE96_4_5005_c.jpeg

FR. JOHN SLATTERY - 1982-1987

PASTOR

48C16B8A-B2BF-4516-BB66-F0214677EE96_4_5005_c.jpeg

FR. JOHN RYAN - 1976-1982

PASTOR

48C16B8A-B2BF-4516-BB66-F0214677EE96_4_5005_c.jpeg

FR. JEREMIAH O'SULLIVAN - 1972-1976

PASTOR

48C16B8A-B2BF-4516-BB66-F0214677EE96_4_5005_c.jpeg

FR. LUCIAN LAUERMAN - 1966-1971

PASTOR

48C16B8A-B2BF-4516-BB66-F0214677EE96_4_5005_c.jpeg

FR. JAMES MUNNELLY - 1963-1965

PASTOR

4D5E8CD2-84B9-43E8-BED3-D1533A1E51A1_1_201_a.jpeg

FR. CORNELIUS WALDO - 1952-1963

PASTOR - He started the Church building project on 3rd St. in 1956 and dedicated in 1957 by Bishop Charles Francis Buddy

48C16B8A-B2BF-4516-BB66-F0214677EE96_4_5005_c.jpeg

FR. JEREMIAH MURPHY - 1950-1952

PASTOR

48C16B8A-B2BF-4516-BB66-F0214677EE96_4_5005_c.jpeg

FR. PHILLIP WATTZ - 1949-1950

PASTOR

48C16B8A-B2BF-4516-BB66-F0214677EE96_4_5005_c.jpeg

Fr. H. Pare from 1944-1949

Pastor

48C16B8A-B2BF-4516-BB66-F0214677EE96_4_5005_c.jpeg

FR. MICHAEL SCANLON - 1941-1944

First Resident Pastor

In 1893, a small chapel was built on Perris Boulevard, four miles north of Perris, to serve the residents of the Perris Indian School. This school was forerunner of the Riverside Sherman Institute. Fr. P.J. Stockman, the pastor of St. Bernardine Church in San Bernardino, would travel to Perris for religious services and classes. The chapel and school were closed in 1902.
Over the next years, the small catholic community in Perris was called Mission San Ambrose and was ran by Fr. P.A. Quinn from Our Lady of the Lake Church in Lake Elsinore and San Jacinto and the priests after him until the first resident priest arrived in 1941.