ABOUT US

St  James the Less Roman Catholic Church

Located in Perris Ca

Church Address: 22190 Dunlap St., Perris, Ca. 92571

ADDRESS

Phone: (951) 657-2380

Fax: (951) 943-7290

 

Office Address: 269 3rd Street,

Perris, California, 92570

 

stjamesperris@sbdiocese.com

SUBSCRIBE FOR EMAILS
  • Twitter - Grey Circle
  • Instagram - Grey Circle
  • Facebook - Grey Circle
  • G+ - Grey Circle
  • YouTube - Grey Circle

© 2016 St James the Less Catholic Church

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF ST. JAMES THE LESS CATHOLIC CHURCH

ANTECEDENTES HISTÓRICOS DE IGLESIA CATOLICA ST. JAMES THE LESS

The Franciscan Fathers from Mission San Juan Capistrano cared for the early settles in the area of the Southwest, still known as Indian Territory. The first Mass was celebrated on the feast day of St. James the Less on May 3rd, 1907, by one of the missionaries at the site of what later would fondly be known as the "Old Church" at the site of today's Farrell Hall of St. James the Less School.

The old Church at that time was considered the oldest building in the Pinacate Township. First used as a one-room school, then as a Church for the Protestant groups, it finally became home to St. James the Less. Pioneer families like the Farrell, Sweeneys, Saunders, Trujillos, Rodriguezes, and Bernasconis were the original parishioners.

Pinacate was the name of Perris before the new town was planned and named for Santa Fe Railroad engineer Fred Perris. In 1936, Perris became part of the newly created Diocese of San Diego under the leadership of Bishop Charles F. Buddy. The Bishop sent the Servite Fathers from Chicago to take care of the pastoral needs of the community. In 1941, Fr. Michael Scnlon became the first resident pastor. In 1952, Dom Cornelius Waldo, O.S.B. came to Perris and in 1957 built the present Church.

Much transpired in the next 50 years. A parish school, which flourishes to this day, was built and staffed by the Irish Sisters of Mercy in 1964. A population explosion brought new residents from Mexico and Los Angeles southland seeking affordable housing.

Today, St. James the Less Church flourishes with more than 10,000 registered families and many active members and ministries, from prayer and young adult groups. The challenge of the future is much like that in the pioneering days, that is to provide facilities to meet the spiritual, pastoral, educational and social need of the peopple of God in Perris.

Los Padres Franciscanos de la Misión de San Juan Capistrano cuidaron los primeros asentamientos en el área del Suroeste, todavía conocida como Territorio de la India. La primera misa se celebró el 3 de mayo de 1907, en el día de la fiesta de St. James the Less, por uno de los misioneros en el lugar de lo que más tarde se llamaría cariñosamente "Iglesia Vieja" en el lugar de hoy en el Salón Farrell de Escuela de Santiago el Menor.

La antigua iglesia en ese momento era considerada el edificio más antiguo del municipio de Pinacate. Primero usado como una escuela de una sola habitación, luego como una Iglesia para los grupos protestantes, finalmente se convirtió en el hogar de St. James the Less. Las familias pioneras como Farrell, Sweeneys, Saunders, Trujillos, Rodriguezes y Bernasconis fueron los feligreses originales.

Pinacate era el nombre de Perris antes de que se planificara la nueva ciudad y se llamara así al ingeniero de ferrocarriles de Santa Fe, Fred Perris. En 1936, Perris se convirtió en parte de la recién creada Diócesis de San Diego bajo el liderazgo del Obispo Charles F. Buddy. El Obispo envió a los Padres Servitas de Chicago para atender las necesidades pastorales de la comunidad. En 1941, el p. Michael Scnlon se convirtió en el primer pastor residente. En 1952, Dom Cornelius Waldo, O.S.B. Llegó a Perris y en 1957 construyó la actual Iglesia.

Mucho transpiró en los próximos 50 años. Una escuela parroquial, que florece hasta nuestros días, fue construida y atendida por las Hermanas de la Misericordia de Irlanda en 1964. Una explosión demográfica trajo a nuevos residentes de México y Los Ángeles, en el sur del país, que buscaban viviendas asequibles.

Hoy en día, la Iglesia St. James the Less florece con más de 10,000 familias registradas y muchos miembros y ministerios activos, desde oraciones y grupos de jóvenes adultos. El desafío del futuro es muy parecido al de los días pioneros, que es proporcionar instalaciones para satisfacer las necesidades espirituales, pastorales, educativas y sociales de las personas de Dios en Perris.